Thursday, February 18, 2010

Snuggly days at home...

The week has been a bit disjointed in our little world, with normal routines set aside for a few days of snuggling up around the house.

On Monday, Bloomington was blanketed in a lovely (and thick) covering of snow.
North and I opted not to trek to campus and brave un-plowed roads and so instead, I worked from home and he got to play around the house and have a bit of a Pixar day. I can happily say the "Cars" obsession has passed but preference is now shown for "Monsters Inc." (sigh).
At 5 pm, we took a break from work and play and headed into the front yard to get out of the house and enjoy the snow with Ender. North was delighted by her hopping through the drifts like a bunny and thought it great fun to throw snow at her (which she enjoyed catching and eating out of the air).

Monday nap (during Monsters Inc. of course)

My 2 snow bunnies
Snowball on the camera!
Tuesday was a fun and normal day at daycare. They played with trains, and painted, and their science project of the day involved making flubber. In our daily picture sheet, his care-givers shared the recipe, which I thought I would share with you:

Flubber Directions
In a large container combine:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 cups white glue
food coloring

In smaller container combine:
1 1/3 cups warm water
3 tsp. Borax

1. Mix contents of each container thoroughly.
2. Pour contents of small container into the large container.
3. Gently fold the mixture until only about 1 Tbsp of liquid is left. Flubber will be sticky for a moment or two. Let excess liquid drip off then Flubber is ready! Stretch it! Bounce it! Roll it!

After daycare North began to not feel well and developed a fever.

On Wednesday he was still feverish and grandma came over to spend the day with him so that I could head to work. I think they had a nice day snuggling and getting some rest. By days end his fever had broken and he was clearly beginning to feel like his old self. That evening after I got home from work he surprised us all (including himself) by peeing in his potty for the first time!

Since he had not been fever free for 24 hours, he couldn't yet return to daycare today (Thursday) and so grandma offered to again hang out with him so that I could head to work. They had lots of fun playing and exploring. North discovered some new books that grandma bought him, learned how to use a record player (my childhood player) for reading along with some old books of mine, and also developed a great love for icicles (which are in ample supply around our house this week). The highlight of the day was that North pooped AND peed in the potty during the day with grandma today! And then he and grandma called me to tell me about it - so sweet. I never thought I would find someone's bowel movements so interesting and exciting. Yet here I am typing on the internet about them. While he's still not ready for potty training quite yet, he's catching on what his tiny toilet is for, and starting to warm up to the idea of using it. Exciting times.

North's current fascination (cold! sharp! sparkly! what's not to like?!)

No comments: