Wednesday, July 23, 2008

First "Emergency"

Today North had his first "emergency" visit. And Bridgett, as a result, had her first major mommy freak out session.
We met Alan for lunch, came home and played for a bit and then, as I was laying North down for his afternoon nap, I noticed that his right ear was FULL of dried blood. I of course FREAKED out instantly (poor Alan talking to his panicky, crying wife on the phone--sorry honey!) and drove him straight to the ambucare clinic.
After waiting in the waiting room for what felt like an ETERNITY, we finally got to go back to an examination room. The nurse took his temperature and said it was 99.8--so he had a slight fever--further freaking out by me. She scraped off most of the blood with a dry q-tip and said the doctor would be in soon.
The doctor finally came in, stuck his little ear examiner thingie in--took about 2 seconds-- examined the inside of his ear and said he was fine. Whew! Relief! Everything looked good. It seems he just got one of those little fingers of his in there at some point and must have dug around for a bit causing lots of blood but not any real damage. He said the fever was probably just because I was freaking out and holding him so close against me--probably just raised his temp a bit.
We're home now and are BOTH now ready for an afternoon nap. Yeesh--pretty scary!
I of course didn't get any pictures of the ear before we headed to the doctor and the nurse cleaned it out but here's what it looked like after it was cleaned and we got back home---there's still little bits of blood that didn't come off from the dry q-tip that we'll need to get with a wet washcloth later tonight. I snapped a few to commemorate his first emergency doctor visit and my first major freak out.
Such a relief that everything is fine : ).

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Oh, you poor thing! I'm glad everything is okay now - Yikes!